At Shenley our vision ‘happy, united and inspired’ is fully embedded into the learning that children receive. Children in the Early Years follow the Foundation Stage Curriculum and Years 1 to 6 follow the National Curriculum. Since the new 2014 framework our curriculum has been redesigned to create a themed approach to learning. We believe this maximises our curriculum time and supports our children to make links across different subject areas; we integrate the separate curriculum areas into a topic. As we are a one-and-a-half-form entry school, consisting of mixed age classes within each phase, we work from a 2-year rolling programme.
Within science and foundation subjects, lessons are blocked and taught across a week/two week period every afternoon. We believe this helps children to delve deeper within a topic, ensuring it is fresh in their mind from the previous lesson. It helps our children to develop their connections and make more meaningful progress across the broader curriculum. This is evident within our science and creative curriculum books.
From Nursery upwards, we follow the phonics scheme on Phonics Bug daily to deliver essential phonic knowledge to our pupils. There are a variety of reading schemes we follow including The Oxford Reading Tree and Read, Write Inc.
In the Early Years, learning opportunities are developed through:
- Play which is structured at times to enable new skills to develop.
- Children’s’ interests noted by staff and suggestions from parents.
- Allowing children to make their own decisions and choices.
- Providing a range of stimulating resources that children are encouraged to explore freely and through direction from staff.
- Incorporating drama and role-play into sessions.
- Catering for different learning styles and needs
- Offering very high quality pastoral care so that children feel confident, valued and secure.
Below are the curriculum maps for Years 1 & 2, Years 3 & 4 and Years 5 & 6. You will also see the early years framework. You can find out more about your child's weekly learning within each class page as well home learning grids, curriculum letters and photos of learning.
Early Years Provision
Please see the link below to access the 'Teaching British Values' tab.