I shall surf in my box
on the great high-rolling breakers of the wild Atlantic,
then wash ashore on a yellow beach
the colour of the sun.
Read the last verse of the poem. Close your eyes and imagine you are on the beach. What sounds do you hear? Have a go at making a rainstick instrument to recreate those sounds.
You will need:
a sturdy cardboard tube
- Paint the cardboard tube and let it dry.
- Cut 2 circles from the paper. You can crumple it to make it look worn and cut some fringe around the outside of the circle.
- Attach one circle of paper to an end of the cardboard tube using an elastic band.
- Place a few twisted pipe cleaners and some rice into the cardboard tube.
- When you are happy with the sound of the rainstick, attach the other circle of paper to the open end of the cardboard tube.
- Tie some different coloured pieces of wool around each end of the rainstick to decorate.
Create your own music with your rainstick.