1. Watch the video up to the part where the boy goes into the woods and finds the hat. What do we know about the boy so far?
2. 'His ears rejoiced to the creak of a branch or the crunch of a twig.' What does this sentence mean? Why did his ears rejoice?
3. Stop the video at the point where the boy finds the hat. What do you predict will happen next?
4. How are the bugs described?
5. Why do you think the creatures are unhappy in their cages?
6. What did the boy learn in the story?
7. What clues from the video tell you the boy is fascinated by the birds?
8. Summarise what happened in the story in your own words (remember this should be concise).
Optional extra tasks
- Write some speech for the birds when they are in the cages and then when they are free. You could draw them and write speech bubbles or write this down using inverted commas (speech marks).
- Write a list of other stories that you can think of where one or more of the characters had their freedom taken away.